Monday, June 27, 2011

Product Review: The Smooth Away

Some women are blessed enough to not have to shave their legs very often.  Recently, when visiting my cousin, she told me she hadn't shaved for two weeks- and, if I looked REALLY closely, I could see a hint of very fine, blond hair on her legs.  In the 25 years that we'd been cousins, I'd never really felt jealous of her until that moment.  I am one of those women who has black stubble on her legs before her razor burn even heals!

I'm always looking for an alternative to shaving, so I was interested when the Smooth Away came out.  I found one at Walmart for about 13$.  Supposedly, Smooth Away removes hair by grinding it down to dust, and exfoliates your skin at the same time.  In the commercial, one user enthusiastically states, "I don't have to shave!  I don't have to shave, ever!"

The kit includes a large smoothing pad with a battery-powered "vibrating pod" and several crystal pads, as well as a smaller smoothing pad with some small crystal pads.  Following the directions, I applied one of the self-adhesive crystal pads to the bottom of the smoothing pad, and popped the vibrating pod in the top of the smoothing pad.  I tried it on my legs first- the hair was a couple of millimeters long.

The vibrations felt soothing and it did seem to exfoliate my skin, but it took several seconds to actually get all the hair in a small patch of skin.  I hadn't even done the front of my shin before the crystal pad had dulled and needed to be replaced.  No way were the five pads in the pack going to do what one $2 razor could do!   I tried the small pad on my bikini line and got NOTHING- the hair was too course.  Of course, the hair grew back just as fast as it would with shaving.

So, in short- the Smooth Away does remove hair, and it's painless.  However, it doesn't save any time or money over plain old shaving!  I can't say I would recommend it to anyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment